Post Doctoral Fellow Climate Change
The ASB Partnership for the Tropical Forest Margins has emphasized the need for understanding and developing synergies and trade-offs between mitigation and adaptation at multiple levels. While this is recognized in the literature, little has been done on concrete options for synergies and optimizing trade-offs. Therefore, ASB is developing a Global Research Programme on Linking Mitigation and Adaptation (MITI-ADAPT GLOBAL) which proposes to explore viable conceptual and empirical frameworks for enhancing synergies between mitigation and adaptation at global, national and local levels from a land management perspective. This project aims to provide transformative thinking on linking adaptation and mitigation in the climate change domain with potentially huge global impact and benefits. The work will also contribute to the new CG Consortium Research Projects, especially CRP 6.4 on Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation and CRP7 on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security.
The Post Doc Climate Change Scientist will be a member of the
ASB’s Global Coordination Office. Under the supervision of the ASB
Global Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for conducting
research on land management experiences at linking climate change
adaptation and mitigation through desk reviews, meta-analysis and case
studies. The incumbent will be based at the World Agroforestry Centre
headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
The main tasks will include the following:
- Develop a research workplan
Undertake research on land management options for enhancing synergies between climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Lead and contribute to the development of an annotated bibliography
- Lead and/or contribute to the development of at least two manuscripts
- Co-lead in research report writing and a least one relevant policy brief
- Co-lead the development of research proposals and fundraising on MITI-ADAPT
- Contribute to CRP 6.3, 6.4 and 1.2 research
The successful applicant will have:
- A PhD in a field related to climate change mitigation/adaptation, environmental sciences, ecological or environmental economics, geography or other discipline relevant to ASB
- Solid background in environmental policy, climate change mitigation and adaptation, agroforestry and development
- Good track record of international publications
- Excellent writing, editing and public speaking skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and proven ability to work collaboratively in cross-cultural contexts
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and complete tasks with attention to detail and to meet deadlines
- Field experience in tropical and sub-tropical developing countries
- High proficiency in English. Additional languages desirable
- Some experience in proposal development and fundraising desirable.
Terms of offer
We offer a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment and
we strongly encourage applications from qualified women. The
appointment will be for an initial period of one (1) year with a three
(3) months probation period.
How to apply
Applicants are invited to send:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position
- Detailed and up-to-date curriculum vitae
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, and email addresses.
All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), PO Box 30677, Nairobi, Kenya OR via email to email@example.com. Please mark the subject line of application letters and email submissions as: “ASB Post Doc Climate Change.”Applications will be considered until 29th February 2012 and/ or until the position is filled.
Please note that only short listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.